Monday, December 6, 2010

Inconsiderate Professors

I know God says to love your enemies, but today I realized how extremely difficult it is to love someone who has wronged you. I have a professor who never emails you back, does not do her job, and leaves you hanging with no clue what to do for assignments. This professor, did not answer my three emails all in which had some connection to do with Grandma, until a week later. I had explained that I had to go to Grandma's funeral, which with traveling, would be difficult to work on an end of the semester project. She refused to give me an extension. That was the first reason that made me not like her. The second is she did not respond to any of my questions in the emails. Then, today, I go to campus for my evening class. I waited around until 4:20, but became suspicious when no one else had showed up for class yet. I text a few people and sure enough there was no class. It really frustrated me because I had emailed her so many times yet she does not have the decency to communicate with me. I guess on top of my stress and still grieving over Grandma, I was extremely upset. The fact that she knows what I have been going through, it would have been considerate of her to communicate that there was no class. Driving to campus and back took out 30-40 minutes of my day. Plus, I grabbed dinner at Jimmy Johns, because I was so hungry! I knew I wouldn't have time to eat before class. So she cost me money and my time. I just cannot even fathom showing love to this woman.

5 comments:

Annie said...

I had a professor once who made me cry. I felt like a fool, a grown woman in a spanish class crying! I found it hard to have any good thoughts about her. Now, that I am older I try to remember that if someone is acting horribly, then possibly they are having a much harder time in life than I am at that moment. Maybe it is so with your professor. Maybe she is going through a divorce, or a death in her family, or her child is hooked on drugs.... whatever. It is hard when you are the one being wronged to think compassionately about someone else. Maybe try to corner her after class and ask her if there is a better way to get a hold of her. If things don't improve, complain to the head of her department. After all, you are paying her salary and have the right to complain when you are not getting your money's worth.

Annie said...

Hi. In response to your commment on my post:
Lia Belle and Jacob attend a private Non-denominational Christian school, Called Carden. It was started by an educator named Mae Carden. There are Carden schools all across the country. As a future teacher, maybe you have heard of her education philosophy. if you haven't you can check her out. We are VERY happy with it. The school is disciplined and has a lot of rules, but also is very kind. The kids have a prayer with their class at the beginning of the day, lunch time and before they go home.They also study a bible story every day. Jacob has really blossomed there and Lia Belle too. It is a sacrifice to send them there, but we feel it is a great, safe, loving atmosphere.

Ashley said...

Annie - I actually have never heard of Carden (Most likely because I am attending a secular campus where they shun anything to do with your own personal religion). I might look into it though. I visited one non-denominational Christian school in the area but it is very small. The principal knows me though and said she could at least use me as a sub if I don't find a job at another school.

Ronda said...

Ashley_ I think if grandpa had anything to say about this situation, he would let us go tp her or something. At the very least thumb his nose at her.

Ashley said...

:-D So very true! :) Thank you for reminding me of that. Haha... he would also offer to go burn down the house. He would always threaten that (but not really mean it of course!)