Let your hope keep you joyful, be patient in your troubles, and pray at all times. Romans 12:12
Tuesday, October 19, 2010
Fast Quick Healthy Food
Anyone have suggestions for fast, quick, healthy food? I barely have time to cook. As a result, I have been eating a lot of unhealthy stuff. Also, cheap would be nice! :)
My favorite meal is beans and rice. The beans you can cook in a crock pot. Put them in, 2 cups of dry beans, to 8 cups of water. Add a chopped onion. Turn on high for 6-8 hours, or you could try low setting if you are going to be gone 12 hours or more. Before taking them out add salt to taste. If you have a rice cooker you can cook the rice in that and it will be waiting for you when you get home. Eat the beans over rice. with some sourcream or cheese, or salsa, and some tortilla chips. CHEAP! CHEAP! CHEAP! And YUMMY! We eat it about once a week. Also, cook brown rice, is better for you than white. Or you can do half brown half white if you aren't used to brown yet. Also, you can spice up your rice by adding lime juice and cilantro and some vegetable or chicken bouillon to the water. Check out a slow cooker cookbook from the library and find some recipes. I love to use it on days when I know dinner time will be nuts.
I second the beans and rice!! It's so good for you, plus cheap, plus easy!
Anything in the crock pot is great.. Just prepare the stuff the night before, and in the morning, throw it in the crock pot, and dinner will be ready when you walk in the door in the evening...Thanks for asking for recommendations...I'm going to start doing this again!
2 comments:
My favorite meal is beans and rice. The beans you can cook in a crock pot. Put them in, 2 cups of dry beans, to 8 cups of water. Add a chopped onion. Turn on high for 6-8 hours, or you could try low setting if you are going to be gone 12 hours or more. Before taking them out add salt to taste. If you have a rice cooker you can cook the rice in that and it will be waiting for you when you get home. Eat the beans over rice. with some sourcream or cheese, or salsa, and some tortilla chips. CHEAP! CHEAP! CHEAP! And YUMMY! We eat it about once a week. Also, cook brown rice, is better for you than white. Or you can do half brown half white if you aren't used to brown yet. Also, you can spice up your rice by adding lime juice and cilantro and some vegetable or chicken bouillon to the water. Check out a slow cooker cookbook from the library and find some recipes. I love to use it on days when I know dinner time will be nuts.
I second the beans and rice!! It's so good for you, plus cheap, plus easy!
Anything in the crock pot is great.. Just prepare the stuff the night before, and in the morning, throw it in the crock pot, and dinner will be ready when you walk in the door in the evening...Thanks for asking for recommendations...I'm going to start doing this again!
Post a Comment