Saturday, November 22, 2008

Thanksgiving cannot come soon enough . . .

I am very excited for Thanksgiving because I am going to be surrounded by people that I love. I still struggle with feeling lonely in my new home, even thought it isn't that far from my parents. It is harder to make good close friends when you don't live in the dorms at a school. Besides, Milwaukee is more of a commute type school. No one really lives right around in my area. So even if I find someone who is cool and all, they may live an hour away which makes it difficult to hang out with them. I did put up a Christmas tree in my condo, it looks nice. I had to put it up before Thanksgiving so my place looks homey for when family comes and visits. Ben's mom gave me a nice pretty red table cloth, my mom bought some cool wall decorations, and I also was able to adorn my place with some of Grandma's loved red vases. I cannot wait for this semester to be over. My life basically consists of papers, reading, and work. I am working on a 7-8 page paper, a 10-12 paper, a 3-4 paper, an math exam, and so on . . . It is ridiculous! I'm also frustrated with my advisor. There have been some complications with the requirements to enter into the education program that I thought I had done. Oh well, what can you do, right? I am excited because I made pot roast in my beautiful crock pot! My first time using it. It smells delicious!

Well, that is all for now.

Love,
Ashley

5 comments:

Ronda said...

Ashley- I too am looking forward to a Thanksgiving surrounded by the people I love. It is going to be great to be with you guys on a Holiday. That is neat for us to be with Ben on his first big belcher Thanksgiving. I hope we get to come see your homey home.
As for feeling at home in your milwaukee area... It is true that things change after you are married, you don't live with friends and your time is limited as to when you can "hang out" and how much you can hang out. I have found that since marriage, my best friends usually come from working together with other women at church. Giving service, working on nursery lessons, planning activities, etc... I bet there is a myriad of ways for you to become with some friends through the church. Just shift your tactics a bit and recognize that friendship outside of your marriage will always be a little different than it used to be. But women always need other women so just look for them in some different places. And don't forget your sister cousins are always ready with a listening ear. We love you so much. Keep up the great work on moving towards your educational goals. Once you have your degree nobody can ever take it away. Love, Ronda

Alainarae said...

aaww.. Ronda..I used to and still sometimes do, call her my guru! She gives the best advice! Loveit! I love she said sister cousins! Not because we are your cousins and are sisters, but it really has always felt like you were another sister, probably especially for Cherie and I.. We love you Ash! Even though your husband is your best friend now, you just can't not have some girlfriends.. I always find myself becoming friends with women older than me that remind me of my elder sisters, or mom.. Once you find another girlfriend who you can relate to somehow, its just so nice.. maybe you could put up signs around your condo area to start a womens bible study group or something with women in the neighborhood, that would be a good way to get to know some potential friends that would live really close? Just an idea..It would be out of my comfort zone, but maybe not yours! Happy Thanksgiving!

Annie said...

My sister cousin...awww. I'm jealous that Ronda gets to be with you and your parents on Thanksgiving. I have fun memories of driving to Kansas to see you all for New Years, and other holidays at Grandma's and your house in Cameron. I wish we could come too. Also, Jacob asks me like once a week when we can go back to Chicago.
You'll make friends, but like ronda said, don't expect it to be the same as your college days. Things are a little different once your married. I think the hardest part is finding another couple that we both like. I have a few friends that I love the lady and want to hang out with her and her husband, but Chad doesn't have much in common with the husband. This makes it hard for him to want double date or hang out with them. So the couple we meet that we jive with we hang onto. There is an episode on the "King Of Queens" on just this subject and it is HILARIOUS! anywhoo, you are awesome.

Belcheryl said...

Hey Ashley--I didn't know you were doing this...Awesome! This time of year is so hard for me too!! I will pray that God will bless you w/ good Christian friends. I am glad you like our Salvation b-day parties!!! When is yours? I am also glad & proud to know that you guys are down w/ ff5! They rock my face off!!! We love you.....

Ashley said...

Thank you soooo much for your comments Ronda, Alaina, Annie, and Cheryl. It really means a lot to me. It has been tough and hearing advice from you all helps me a lot. I had actually thought about starting a bible study with some women in my condo, I just haven't decided how to go about doing it yet. I might give it a shot. Anyway, I love you all and thanks for saying sister cousins :) I've always been a little jealous of the strong bond you all have together. Your family is want makes me want to have a big family. I love you all!!!!!!!